Weight Loss Tips that Lead to Long-Term Fitness
How to Lose Weight and Maintain Weight Loss
The new year presents a great opportunity to reset and establish new goals to live a better life. One of the most common, yet difficult challenges people take on is losing weight. It is very common to want to lose weight fast, but studies show that losing weight gradually can lead to more permanent results. Losing weight is about more than just dieting and exercising, it is about long term changes in your behavior to lead a healthier lifestyle.
In order to lose one pound, you must burn 3,500 calories, so you can lose 1 to 2 pounds per week by reducing your caloric intake by 500 to 1000 calories a day. If done correctly, over an appropriate amount of time, you will be more likely to succeed in keeping the weight off.1
Though losing weight can be difficult, even a little weight loss of 5-10% of your body weight can improve blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugars. Weight loss is also linked to improved energy levels, physical mobility, mood, and self-confidence.
We have gathered information from a variety of studies and health resources to help you find the best way on how to lose weight, maintain that weight loss, and get you started towards your weight loss goals.
What To Drink To Lose Weight?
- Water – Drinking water can temporarily boost your metabolism, helping you burn more calories.2
- Coffee – Caffeine can boost metabolism and increase fat burning, and good coffee is full of antioxidants. Just avoid adding high-calorie ingredients to it, as that could negate any potential benefits.
- Green Tea – Like coffee, green tea contains caffeine, and antioxidants called catechins which are believed to enhance fat burning.
- Lemon Water – In addition to the benefits of drinking water, there are plant compounds that act as antioxidants in lemon peel, and they may help stimulate the liver to burn fat.3
Meal Plan for Weight Loss
- Eat More Protein – Protein is the most important nutrient when it comes to losing weight. Eating a high protein diet can boost metabolism by 80 to 100 calories a day and help you eat less calories by making you feel satiated. One of the most effective ways to lose weight is simply adding protein to your diet.4
- Eat More Vegetables and Fruits – Vegetables and fruits contain few calories but a lot of fiber, and are rich in water. Studies show that people who eat vegetables and fruits tend to weigh less.2
- Eat Eggs For Breakfast – Eating eggs for breakfast can help you eat fewer calories and lose more weight and body fat. If you can’t eat eggs, any source of quality protein for breakfast should work.
- Use Smaller Plates – Using smaller plates has been shown to help people eat fewer calories in some studies.2
- Keep Healthy Foods Around – Keeping healthy foods around can prevent you from eating something unhealthy if you are hungry. This includes snacks like fruits, nuts, baby carrots, yogurt, or hard boiled eggs.
- Eat Carbs Earlier in the Day – Eating carbs earlier in the day will keep you from getting hungry and allow you more time to burn off the calories
How to Improve Your Metabolism
- Cook With Coconut Oil – The special fats in coconut oil have been shown to boost metabolism and reduce your appetite.
- Metabolism Supplements – In addition to the other tips provided, some supplements can help speed up your metabolism and contribute to weight loss.
- Lift Weights to Gain Muscle – Lifting weights can prevent muscle loss and help maintain a high metabolism.
- Eat Fruits & Vegetables that Boost Your Metabolism – Some fruits and vegetables, such as citrus fruits and fruits and vegetables that are high in fiber can help improve your metabolism and help you burn more calories.
Key Weight Loss Tips
- Brush Your Teeth After Eating – This can help you avoid late night snacking.
- Cut One Treat From Your Diet – Cutting one treat from your diet can be a realistic and easy way to cut some daily carbs.
- Eat Spicy Foods – Spicy foods contain Capsaicin, a compound that boosts metabolism and helps reduce your appetite slightly.
- Do Aerobic Exercise – Cardio is an excellent way to burn calories and improve your mental and physical health. Cardio is particularly effective to lose belly fat.
- Get Good Sleep – Poor sleep is one of the strongest risk factors for obesity.
Weight Loss Mistakes to Avoid
- Fad Dieting – While popular diet plans can be effective, they are not as miraculous as they would like you to believe. There is no single diet that works for everyone, and it is important to build other healthy habits such as regularly exercising in order to effectively lose weight.
- Drinking Your Calories – Sugar in liquid form is even worse than regular sugar. Studies show that liquid sugar calories may be the most fattening aspect of our modern diets. This also includes fruit juices, which contain the same amount of sugar as sodas.
- Eating Refined Carbs & Sugar – Refined carbs can spike blood sugar rapidly, leading to hunger, cravings, and increased food intake. It is better to eat carbs with their natural fiber, as refined carbs are strongly linked to obesity.
- Checking Your Weight Every Day – There are a lot of factors that go into your weight, including recent meals, water weight, and weight gained through exercising and muscle building. Obsessing over the weight shown on the scale can be discouraging and misleading.
How to Maintain Weight Loss
- Stay Physically Active – Exercising one hour a day is one way to continue to burn calories and maintain your weight loss. Walking is the most popular form of exercising.5
- Keeping Tabs on What You Eat – Writing down all your meals can help you eat less and maintain your weight.
- Eating Breakfast – Eating a healthy breakfast can keep you from getting hungry and eating unhealthy snacks throughout the day.
Remember, small changes and consistency will help you achieve your long term weight loss goals. We hope these researched weight loss tips help you to kick-start becoming a healthier you.
If you have your own tips on how to lose weight and maintain weight loss we would love to hear your tips and share them with the LifeSeasons’ community.
Feed Your Curiosity
Join our email list to receive updates with helpful tips for living a healthy life.