Sliding Into Summer
The endless summer nights are upon us once again! The arrival of summer means days at the pool, family barbecues, vacations, sports and plenty of other outdoor activities. Follow these tips this summer to keep your family happy and healthy:
- Protect your family from the strong sun: We all want that summer tan, but are the health risks worth it? Always apply water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during and after physical activity to avoid dehydration. Spice up your water by adding lemon or fruit. We love to add melon, oranges, berries or even cucumber or mint to a pitcher of water and then refrigerate it for two hours.
- Heat Safety: Avoid intense activities between noon and 3 p.m. when the sun is at its strongest.
- Head indoors: When the heat gets unbearable, try indoor activities at your local YMCA or rec center like basketball, swimming, yoga or racquetball.
- Summer Road Trips: Road trips are a family favorite, but find ways to make it healthy. Make your rest breaks active. Stop at a park or take a quick 10 minute walk. You will feel reenergized and burn off some extra calories. Pack healthy snacks and reach for the water. It can be tempting to reach for soda to keep you awake. Instead, reach for water and fruit or whole grain snacks. You will feel better on that long car ride!
We also recommend taking Immuni-T, Energy and Breathe-X to keep you in check on those long summer days!